Tuesday 16 January 2018

Future Reading List #1



With all my books back home in Perth, I had the urge to buy a stack of books to make it look like I have a mini bookshelf. And also, I want to really get back into my reading mojo that I had when I was in high school. So I thought I would give you an overview of what my reading is going to be like over the next month or so. You can also follow my reading habits on Goodreads, which is a great way to track what you've read, what you want to read and what your friend's have read.


THE SECRET BOOKS by Marcel Theroux - Goodreads | Book Depository

Yes, this is by Louis Theroux's brother. Who knew he had a brother who's an author, that's one talented family. Anyway, this book is  based on real events but have been fictionalised. Nicolas Notovitch flees tsarist Russia in search of a new life in 19th century Paris. The book follows him through pre-revolotiumary and anti-Semitic times, and is told with a modern twist.

* I'm about halfway through the book and I'm not 100% sure on this. The storyline is very interesting but I'm struggling with the way it's written. Will give an update when I'm finished.

MY BEST FRIEND'S EXORCISM by Grady Hendrix - Goodreads | Book Depository

When I saw this book, I wanted to buy it just because of the cover. It looks like a beat up cover of a Goosebumps book, so anyone who grew up being obsessed with Goosebumps would love the cover art of this. Then when I went to pay for it, the girl serving me said that if you're into Stranger Things then this would be the next best thing. And as someone who the week before finished watching the second season, this was perfect! It seems like it would be a hybrid of the Babysitter's Club and the Exorcist! So keen to read this one!

THE ESSEX SERPENT by Sarah Perry - Goodreads | Book Depository

Again, I judged this by it's cover *slaps wrist*. But it looks so beautiful! I've heard many good things, and as a lover of all things history related, I couldn't not get it. Based in Victorian London and an Essex village, it follows a woman who is recently widowed as she embarks on on a journey to find the "Essex Serpent" and meets a man along the way who is the complete opposite but are drawn to each other.

PARSNIPS, BUTTERED by Joe Lycett - Goodreads | Book Depository

Joe Lycett is probably one of the funniest people going around. I've been a fan for a while but ever since coming to London and seeing him more often on TV, I've been obsessed. Then when I came across this book while browsing the shelfs at Waterstones, I grabbed it immediately. It's a comedic help book offering advice on how to contest a parking fine, how to be a football fan, and how to stop Donald Trump!

THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD by Colson Whitehead - Goodreads | Book Depository

A book that is so highly recommended, it was part of Oprah's bookclub, I just have to read it. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 2017 and has phenomenal reviews. A story set in the days of slavery in America, it follows a female slave who works on a cotton plantation who learns of the Underground Railroad, embarks on a journey to escape slavery in the North. I don't know too much about the Underground Railroad, only a few mentions in history documentaries, but I am really eager to learn more.

What's on your to read list? Please send recommendations!

x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig